Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Review of John Pringle's The Truth Ratio

Alex Kosoris published this review on Good Reads. I am in complete agreement with his opinion that John Pringle is one of Thunder Bay's most talented writers (but I have to add that Pringle lives in Atikokan.) The book, The Truth Ratio, would make a good Christmas gift.

Review of The Truth Ratio by John Pringle 

Over the course of my time in Thunder Bay, trying to get a feel of the local writing scene, I have picked up various publications and occasionally found myself reading a John Pringle short story. Given that they’re usually the best of the best writing that the region has offered me, I picked up The Truth Ratio without hesitation, assuming it would contain more exceptional tales. To my delight, it does.

To begin with, I will admit I wasn’t in love with the stories. Yes, everything was enjoyable and competent, but it wasn’t until Fragments – which, incidentally, isn’t particularly far into the collection – that Pringle really starts to showcase the immensely creative ways he can tell a story.

As the collection progresses, not only does a diversity in writing become clear, but, if you look carefully, you start to be able to see many of the greats in the Pringle’s style: the evocative prose of Burroughs; the bleak, but hopeful, voice of Kerouac; the structure and presentation of Vonnegut.

What comes across is an author who is very well read and works hard to perfect his craft.

While I didn’t absolutely love every story as I did with a few – far and above the rest was definitely Seeds – I liked them all. There’s no doubt in my mind that Pringle is the most talented writer in the Thunder Bay region.


No comments:

Post a Comment